Kim Namjoon or BTS RM is a tall, handsome and extremely talented man who is the leader of BTS. Here is the information guide on this genius guy.
|Full Name||Kim Nam-Joon|
|Stage Name||RM (Real Me)|
|Nick Names||God of destruction|
|BTS RM Birth Place||Dongjak-gu, Seoul, South Korea|
|Occupation||Rapper, Songwriter, And Record Producer, BTS|
|Hometown||Dongjak-gu, Seoul, South Korea|
|Birthday||September 12, 1994|
|Current Residency||Hannam Hill, Seoul, South Korea:|
|Genres||K-pop, hip hop, R&B, Disco|
The age of BTS RM as of 2022 is 27 years.
The height of BTS RM (is 1.81m in meter, 181 cm, and 5’11 inch. He is the tallest member of BTS.
Weight of BTS Namjoon is 67 kg/ 148lbs.
There is only one sibling of RM and he is the elder of a younger sister.
Family of Kim Nam Joon consists of a father, a mother, and a younger sister.
Wife or Marital Status
Is RM Married, or does he has a girlfriend?
No, RM is not married. According to the rule of k-pop groups and the tight schedule, the members are not alowed to date. So, RM is single. But Recently, rumors of RM’s marriage to a non-celebrity surfaced on website but soon, the HYBE label cleared the baseless rumors, Stating that
“RM’s marriage rumors are groundless. We are continuously taking action against malicious rumors that started on YouTube.”HYBE Lables
No, RM is not gay.
- RM enjoys reading and shopping online in his spare time.
- In his free time, you can find him Namjooning (His way of spending time in nature, riding his bike, and visiting art museums).
- RM selected Walking in a park, cycling, photography, and mountain climbing as his favorite things
RM has White American Eskimo dog and named after RM’s old stage name “Rapmon”
Now all members of BTS has their friendship tattoo “7” and RM had shared a glimpse of his tattoo on ankle with fans. It is BTS leader’s tribute to his seven-members.
RM shared the process of of his ankle tattoo; that he took so much time to figure out the font and position of his tattoo, while the process of getting himself inked took only two minutes.
“It took 2 hours to stamp on the body to check the font and positions, but it took me only 2 damn minutes to have an actual tattoo on my body. It was only two lines. one line “oh ouch” 2nd line “oh ouch” and done.”BTS’ RM in his recent vlive.
Instagram RM is (@rkive).
Kim shares a joined account with BTS on Twitter that is 방탄소년단 (@BTS_twt).
Thoughts on BTS Break
RM late on Wednesday night through his live shared a long letter addressing the ARMY about his thoughts on BTS Break. RM about his discussion with BTS members said that
“Not Like Didn’t Know This Will Happen But Now Is Not The End”RM
|BTS RM Cars||Not Confirmed|
|RM Houses||US$5.7 million in Nine One Hannam splurge|
|Donations||$80,000 to Music Education for Hearing-Impaired Students in 2018.|
$80,000 to music education causes for hearing-impaired students 2019.
$84,426 to the National Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art Foundation.
RM net worth is about $20-22million. He also enjoys a high net worth among BTS. Maybe that is because he is the Leader of BTS and has written many songs and lyrics of BTS, including the chartbuster Butter. Besides, he is an ambassador of the popular K’hawah Coffee brand; produced in South Korea and earns royalties.
For his 25th birthday in 2019, BTS RM donated 100 million won to the Seoul Samsun School to help students with impaired hearing to receive music education. In the December of 2020, the Arts Council of Korea named Kim Namjoon as one of its ten 2020 Patrons of the Arts for his generous donation of 100 million KRW to the National Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art for the printing and distribution of various rare art books to schools and libraries in backward and mountainous regions. Other notable donations of BTS RM:·
- $80,000to Music Education for Hearing-Impaired Students 2018·
- $80,000 to music education causes for students with impaired hearing in 2019.
- $84,426 to the National Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art Foundation
Education and Early Life
Kim Nam Joon was born on September 12, 1994, in Dongjak-gu, South Korea. Afterward, he grew up in Ilsan-gu, where his parents moved when he was about four or five. He has a younger sister. As a child, RM largely learned English by watching Friends .
Before his debut as a BTS member, RM already had quite a good image as a student. He was ranked topper in the national school exam during his school time. As a student, he keenly wrote poetry and often received awards for his writings.
At 11, in his fifth grade, Kim Nam Joon started developing a deep interest in hip-hop music after hearing epic High’s “Fly.” He was comforted by the song, so he went deep into the genre. After discovering the American Rapper Eminem through his school teacher, his interest in lyricism increased. Kim Nam Joon then transitioned his writing into lyrics. Soon after, he found that his poetry became lyrics combined with music. So he started to print the lyrics and shared them with his friends.
RM released several tracks and done collaborations with other underground rappers, such as Zico. The first self-composed recording of RM was done by using the program Adobe Audition (then called Cool Edit). Later participated in the first concert in 2008. He was 12 when he studied in New Zealand for four months. This experience also made him more fluent in English.
In 2007, RM featured rapping in local underground hip-hop circles, with his self-composed songs being only a first-year middle school student. And he was a well-known solo artist under the stage name “Runch Randa”. But all he did without his parents knowing as they were against it
RM was a bright student and ranked in the top 1% of the nation for university entrance examinations for language, math, foreign language, and social studies. RM’s IQ is 148. Seeing RM’s academic achievements his parents set high expectations. They wanted him to be an officer or in business so they strongly opposed his interest in a musical career. For them any other career was acceptable except Music. So, RM decided to set music aside to focus on his studies. But later he convinced his mother to allow him to be a rapper, he asked her if
“She wanted to have a son who was a first-place rapper, or a 5,000th-place student”.Rm to his mother.
Recently he attended Global Cyber University and majored in Broadcasting and Performing Art along with his other bandmates.
How RM joined BTS?
A Korean rapper named Sleepy was the one who discovered RM. Sleepy contacted RM and suggested him to try out for a small K-pop entertainment company called Big Hit Entertainment after being impressed by him. By the time Kim Nam-Joon went in for the audition; he was 16 years old. He ended up auditioning in front of Bang Si-hyuk. PD Nim was so blown away with his potential that bang offered RM to sign on the spot.
After that, Kim Namjoon chose Rap Monster (RM) as his stage name and became a part of a 6 member hip-hop project group. However, all those members ended up leaving as the company was at the edge of bankruptcy, only RM was left. So, Bang Si-hyuk built a group around RM in 2010. That how RM became the first member and leader of a popular K-pop group, that now shines as BTS. Its an honor to say that RM was the reason behind the BTS.
As mentioned earlier, BTS RM (Kim Nam-Joon) first started his music career as a solo artist named ‘Runch Randa’. In 2008, he sang with ‘Zico’ that was one of the rising stars in the hip-hop community at that time. He also remained part of a Korean hip-hop group called ‘Daenamhyup’ for a short period.
Later in 2013, RM auditioned for Big Hit Entertaiment and joined Bang Shik Hyuk, the CEO of BTS at that time. He was impressed by the talent of Nam Joon. RM debuted with BTS on June 13, 2013, releasing their first ever album titled ‘2Cool 4 Skool’ with its title track ‘No More Dream’. Subsequently, he started writing lyrics for several tracks of BTS and became the main rapper.
Whatsmore to BTS, RM collaborated with many Korean artist and produced some of the most popular songs and rap track that went viral between 2014 and 2016. Some of these collaborations are ‘Please Don’t Die’ with Warren G, ‘Bucku Bucku’ with the group MFBTY’s and surprisingly the soundtrack of ‘Fantastic Four’ with Marvel.
He also remained a part of Korean Variety Program ‘Hot Brain: Problematic Men’ where he with a five-member panel of celebrities that discuss current social issues that affect today’s youth. But RM left the show later due to their “Red Bullet Tour”.
Kim Nam Joon also starred in various magazines and has been included in the Korean book titled ‘Hip Hop Hada’ is famous for Korea’s leading hip-hop artists.
He is featured in American magazine XXL is one of South Korea’s most promising rappers.
Kim Nam-Joon has made many endorsements, and he is the brand ambassador for the ‘K’hawah’ popular the coffee brand made in South Korea.
Recently he has been active on social media accounts, Twitter and Instagram, and earned a large fan following within a few hours.
Writing Credits of BTS RM
RM has written more than 200 songs and has been credited for almost 180 songs. Moreover, BTS’s RM reached 180 credits in KOMCA.
Song Collaborations of BTS RM·
- “Perfect Christmas” with with vocal duo released Jo Kwon, Lim Jeong-hee, Joohee and Jung Kook in 2013·
- “PDD” with Warren G in 2015.
- “U” from 2 “ Primary feat. Kwon Jin-ah and RM in 2015·
- “Bucku bucku” with MFBTY feat. EE, RM, and Dino-J in 2015.
- “Change” with Wale in 2017.
- “Gajah” with Gaeko in 2017.
- “Champion (Remix)” with Fall Out Boy in 2017.
- “Timeless” with Tiger JK feat. RM with 2018.
- “Crying Over You” with Honne and Beka in 2019.
- “Seoul Town Road (Old Town Road Remix)”with Lil Nas X in 2019.
- “Winter Flower” with Younha feat. RM in 2020.
- “Strange” with Suga feat. RM in 2020.
- “Don’t” with Even feat. RM in 2021.
BTS RM Discography includes Some unofficial songs.
- “Monterlude” (2014)·
- “Unpack Your Bags” (with DJ Soulscape) (2014)·
- “(I Know)” (with Jung Kook) (2016)·
- “Always” (2017)·
- “(4 O’CLOCK)” (with V) (2017)·
- “(DDaeng)” (with SUGA and j-hope) (2018)·
- “Bicycle” (2021)·
- “Rap Monster” (2012)·
- “School of Tears” (with SUGA and Jin) (2013)·
- “You” (2013)·
- “Favorite Girl” (2013)·
- “Like A Star” (with Jung Kook) (2013)·
- “Expensive Girl” (2013)·
- “Adult Child” (with SUGA and Jin) (2013)·
- “Something” (2013)·
- “Too Much” (2013)
- “Fools” (with Jung Kook) (2015)·
- “Umbrella” (with Yuiko) (2016)·
- “Santa Claus Is Coming To Town” (with Jimin) (2019)
Here are some of BTS’ music video in which RM starred.
|2014||“Intro:What Am I To You?”|
|2019||“Intro Track: Persona”|
RM had done a lot of solo work even before BTS. And also collaborated with many K pop artist and has released two solo mixtapes under his name.
- RM in 2015.
- Mono in 2018.
As of 2022, BTS went on a break as a group; RM working on first solo mixtape after MONO and assured ARMY to wait for just a couple of months as he has done most of the work for his solo album released.
- According to the survey by Gallup Korea, RM ranked as the 12th most preferred idol of the year for 2018.
- He Again ranked 11th in 2019.
- Moreover, in 2018, Kim Namjoon was awarded the fifth-class Hwagwan Order of Cultural Merit by the President Moon Jae In along with members of BTS, for their marvelous contributions to Korean culture.
- In July of last year (2021), RM was appointed Special Presidential Envoy for Future Generations and Culture by in President, along with his bandmates of BTS to help “lead the global agenda for future generations, such as sustainable growth” and “expand South Korea’s diplomatic efforts and global standing” in the international community.
- He holds a diplomatic passport along with other members.
- Kim Namjoon has reached a total of 180 credits in KOMCA . This made RM tie with PSY for the most credits and he is the youngest artist in the top 3.
- On July 20, 2022. BTS members are appointed as a ambassadors for the 2030 Busan World Expo and Kim Nam-Joon even delivered a speech on behalf of the members and said,
“It‘s a true honor that BTS has been appointed as ambassadors for the 2030 Busan World Expo. We will do our best to make the bid successful.
Awards and Nominations
|2018||Soompi Awards||Best Collaboration||Change “Wale”||Nominated|
|2019||Soompi Awards||Best Male Solo||Himself||Won|
RM has done a lot of music shows listed below.
|2014||Mnet||4 Things Show-Rap Monster||Himself|
|2015||tvN||Hot Brain: Problematic Man||Cast Member|
|2016||MBig Tv||Close-up Observation Diary On Idol: Find Me||Himself|
|2016||KBS||Gura Chacha-Time Slip-New Boy||Cast Member|
|2016||Mnet||KCON New York||Host|
RM has a specialty in
Berry has described RM as
“one of the region’s most dexterous rappers, capable of switching flows effortlessly as he glides across an array of diverse instrumentals.”
- The top entertainment companies were scouting Jungkook but decided to sign with Big Hit, and the reason was RM, despite the company’s smaller budget.
- In 2017, American hip-hop magazine XXL included him in its list of “10 Korean Rappers You Should Know”.
- Crystal Tai noted that RM has “received much praise for his natural flow and lyrics.”
- In January 2020, he was promoted from associate to a full member of the Korea Music Copyright Association.
- RM performed a big role as he helped members to stay in the band during their difficult trainee days.
- RM is the leader of BTS, but actually, he comes in the middle of the group age-wise.
- He has an extensive collection of Kaws figurines which he shows off at his studio.
- RM is the only BTS member who is most fluent in English.
- He is named “God of Destruction” because he’s constantly accidentally breaking everything around him.
- RM has plant maehwa-agi, which means baby plum blossom! He has treasured it deeply for six years, and according to RM’s words, it blooms once every two to three months.
- His favorite items are clothes, a computer, and books.
- Has a total of 2 ear piercings. (1 on the right, and One on the left)·
- RM’s Ideal is tall, feminine, smart, and has a pleasant voice.
- He has composing and writing credits for more than 170 songs.
- RM recalled that he used to be called “Dance Prodigy” to tease him for his lack of dancing skills but things have now.
- RM wrote the lyrics of No More Dream because he had no dreams before BTS.
- RM likes fashion and, in the past, would tweet “Kim daily” with photos of his outfits.
- His favorite foods are meat (especially Samgyeopsal) and Kalguksu (Korean knife noodles).
- His favorite colors are black, pink, and purple.
- He is the one who termed Jin and j-hope as the scaredy-cats of the group.
- RM formed instagram account and named it on His producing studio ‘RKive’ (formerly called Mon Studio).
- Just like Jin, he is a great fan of the computer game ‘Maple Story.
- Rap monster rarely fails on supporting the LGBTQ+ community.
- RM’s BT21 character is a Koala named Koya who is always seen thinking with a sleepy expression. Koya has a purple nose because of the famous saying of BTS V, said in a concert, “I purple you,” which shows their love and support for ARMY.
- He has lost his passport multiple times. Once, J hope got frustrated over it and even told RM to tie his passport with his neck.
- BTS was built because of RM.
- RM revealed that he spent most of his life as ‘RM’ and barely got to be Kim Namjoon.
- He mentioned that idol life is hard and that he feels sad and lonely at times and a way to cope with it is to express his thoughts and emotions through music.
- He claims to have never been successfully able to blow a bubble with bubble gum.
- As of 2022, he is the only member who doesn’t have a driving license.
- When asked what his favorite hair color that he’s tried before is, he said he likes silver the most.
- RM likes to collect figures and toys of different kinds. They can be seen throughout his studio on shelves inside glass cases or scattered about in his room.
- If he was a girl, he said he would date j-hope because he is like the mother at the dorm.
- He likes clear weather.
- RM tends to get panicked when he can’t find his lip balm.
- RM’s favorite quote is, ‘Teamwork makes dreams work.’ and we have to agree it.